- Be familiar and involved with new social media - Have strong management skills - Excellent written and oral communication skills - Have strong news judgment - Have exceptional interpersonal skills - Be creative and flexible to changes - Have investigative reporting mindset - Work well under pressure and on deadline - Be business savvy - Be multi-skilled in digital media - And... must be Connie Lee!
1. Welcome--> send invites, create incentives for frequent visitors, plan/attend social events or workshops to develop relationships and involve community, and organize content to be user-friendly.
2. Introduce--> use links, hashtags, photos, and a variety of social networking sites to introduce visitors to relevant blogs, articles or videos.
3. Moderate--> oversee discussion forums, comments, mentions and any user-submitted content for appropriateness and constructiveness.
4. Fulfill---> actively update, regenerate and respond to community.
1. Community hosts need to be consistent with updates/blogs
- i.e. "Picture of the week" / "Trivia Tuesdays" / "Friday Finds"/ "Athlete of the month"
2. Hold contests/ giveaways to encourage citizen reports and pictures onto site - i.e. Users create quote bubbles for photo (by News Channel 8 photographer); the best/funniest wins
3. Use multimedia (ie. videos/ surveys) to keep pages active and fun
- "Outing"videos with talent (ie. at the golfing range with anchor Pamela Brown)
- Organize man-on-the-street-questioning at sporting events and upload findings on personal page (like Jay Leno's "Jaywalking" series)
4. Listen first, and then speak/post
- Hear what the community wants and follow through with it (i.e. community wants to know more about Greivis Vasquez; post previous News Channel 8 stories on him and score an interview or organize LIVE chat with him and fans)
6. Request partnerships with local businesses through a win-win plan (i.e. news site users receive 15% off their purchase at Dick's on Tuesday)
7. Be physically active in community
- Take video and blog about my yoga/pilates/ ZUMBA classes and get those communities involved
8. Allow community to be actively involved
- i.e. "Community Challenge" --> contributors throw out a challenge for the community and/or community host. Whoever completes challenge will post experiences and get voted on. Winner gets most votes and a prize.
9. Incorporate some sort of game or interactive system where users will have the urge andthe need to sign onto site (ie. the success of Farmville and TheSixtyOne)
- I.e. Game: News Mania (like Cake Mania, but producing news, not cakes)
10. Take community behind the scenes
- Everyone loves getting the scoop on what happens behind/beyond the cameras. With the partnerships of WJLA and News Channel 8, metro site can take advantage.
11. Last, but not the least, have FUN with it all
- Be open to changes and criticisms; and be creative.